Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Saying "yes" to Christmas

After the last few years of being immobilized by my dislike for Christmas, I've decided to be on the offensive and take the snowball by the horns. Or something like that.

Someone recently asked me, "How can you not like Christmas?" Uh, the forced socializing, the inability to quietly opt out of consumerism like I manage to do the rest of the year, the availability of sugar and the headaches that accompany it, the increased demands and expectations coupled with the decreased time in which to fulfill them. You can see why it's tempting to stay under the covers until mid-January.

Not this year!

I woke up one day and realized that many people actually like and look forward to Christmas. Why can't I be one of them? Well, this year, I am.

Or at least I'm pretending to be.

So, on the day after Thanksgiving, I welcomed Christmas into my home. I figured I would start with the traditions that I truly enjoy.

Music.


Books.


Crafts.


We set up the nativity scene (what a relief that my daughters no longer feel the need to take Baby Jesus all around the house, as in previous years).


The tree will come later, when Music Man is free. But that's no reason to keep the tree skirt boxed up!



I've not done any actual shopping, but that will come. For now, I'm still making my list and checking it twice.

2 comments:

  1. Do I spy a "Little House on the Prairie" Christmas book in there? I must find one!

    Love the tree-girl skirt!

    I have always liked Christmas, but I sympathize with your concerns. I highly recommend doing all Christmas shopping online. Much more festive and peaceful. :) Also, have you read "The Hundred Dollar Holiday" by Bill McKibben? A nice short book about the origins of Christmas as we know it (shopping, shopping) and how we can simplify the whole season so we can enjoy it. He experimented with doing the whole thing for a hundred dollars and loves it. We aren't quite at that place, but we did decide several years ago to only do presents for kids. Jon's family in particular were very big on buying LOTS of expensive gifts, and it's been nice to not have to worry about that part so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that Little House book is just a collection of the Christmas excerpts from the regular books. All the festive, tear-jerking moments in one handy volume - a garage sale find.

    Ann, my local library should have a shelf called "Best Picks By Ann Boyd" because I always love the books you suggest! Thank you! We also mainly buy gifts for kids (other kids, that is), but even that can get a bit oppressive because there are dozens of them. Yikes. Last year everyone got socks and some Crayola product from us. This year, I hope they all like granola. :)

    ReplyDelete