Saturday, March 13, 2010

sushi tutorial, part 1

Hopefully there will be a Sushi Tutorial, Part 2, that includes actual ingredients and recipes because not even the author of this post could recreate this amazing sushi with such sketchy instructions as these.

It all started one snowy day when I cornered my friend Mari and demanded that she invite me over and teach me to make sushi. She appeared delighted.

I brought the carrots and sesame seeds. She had the rest waiting for us when we arrived. Our four (combined) daughters played together, zipping in and out of the kitchen, while Mari patiently showed me how to lay the ingredients and roll everything up.

It goes something like this:
1) Make the rice. Cut in some vinegar (don't stir or mash the rice) and fan with a tupperware lid to help some evaporate. (see, this is very technical)


2) Fold and snap the nori sheets in half. Line one of those cool bamboo mats with plastic wrap and set a nori sheet on it. Scoop out some rice and lightly spread it over the nori sheet. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.


3) Flip this over and lay the ingredients of your choice in the middle of the nori sheet (she had steamed carrots, steamed asparagus, lettuce, sliced avocado, and even sliced hotdog to choose from). Spread a thin line of drained tuna mixed with mayo and onion along the middle.



4) Expertly wrap the bamboo mat so the sushi roll is tight. Set aside and make several more rolls.

Here's Mari herself. Doesn't she appear delighted?


5) Slice all the rolls into cute, little, one-inch sushis. Try not to pop them repeatedly into your mouth. Set on a dish and serve plain or with soy sauce.


We ate these immediately for lunch. I tried not to hog them all. Mari was so gracious and sent me home with a plate of sushi for Music Man. He ate them between the front door and the dining room table.

3 comments:

  1. These look so good! And I'm not even a big sushi fan (it's the vinegar, not the raw-fish association)! --Jenny Hart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you believe I have never had sushi?! One of these times you will have to have some when I come for a visit. Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried it either!

    ReplyDelete