Tuesday, August 24, 2010

That pesky battle: form vs. function

It was mere moments from the time my mother-in-law brought these into my home


that I had a batch of shortbread cookie dough ready for pressing.

Her dear friend and roommate was cleaning out a cupboard and thought of me. Should I be this tickled to be associated with cupboard cleaning? "Send these to Keri and the girls!" the dear friend declared.


I love her declarations.


And I love the synergy between my mother-in-law and her long-time creative comrade.


Back to the cookie presses:

Seeing these made me reach almost reflexively for the butter.


Earthy, yet shiny. Strong, yet delicate.


The girls had a blast pressing the quaint images into the dough.




Alas, the shapes tended to spread and the cuteness was mostly lost. It's a good thing the cookies tasted like a crisp, buttery heaven.


Oh, well, it's a good excuse to try a new recipe.

3 comments:

  1. They look delicious! What recipe did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I love shortbread.
    And now I long for the days of being a SAHM!
    Sigh...can you tell it's that time of year?

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are gorgeous! Have you perused the book "In the Sweet Kitchen" by Regan Daley? It is my very favorite baking cookbook from the past year. Everything I've made from it is an absolute hit, and I know she has a shortbread recipe in there. See if it's at your library!

    ReplyDelete