Saturday, August 7, 2010

"Where have you been all summer?"

That's what blogger said to me the other day.

I've been kept away from the computer, blogging, even all but the most basic of cooking by every manner of distractions this summer.

The main distraction being this:


It's our beloved first home, which is now a rental property, owned by us, and in a vacancy. We've been working like crazy people on everything from grass seed to gutters, carpet to cobwebs, renters to realtors. I'm yearning for the process to come to an end.

The other distraction is this:


Our beloved first dog. She's been with us 2 weeks now and I can't imagine life without her. Wait, yes, I can. I remember what my house looked like without a refrigerator sized crate tucked into one of its nooks, what my mornings looked like without waiting for her to do her business while I slap mosquitos nonchalantly, what mealtimes looked like without instructing children to "Guard your food!" Families with dogs assured me bringing a dog into our home would be an enriching experience. I'm sure it will be. Pretty soon.

Another distraction was this:


Our trip to Alpena. In order for it to be a true vacation, I allow myself a simple pleasure. A pre-vacation shopping spree at Trader Joes for fun, fast lunch options. I barely cooked. I read. I organized my recipe binders. I played with clay.


I hung out with extended family. I watched my daughters get more comfortable with dogs (a prereq for getting our own [see above]).


I took walks.


I posed for yoga shots.


I paddle-boated. I had my toes nibbled by bluegill and screamed.


And now it's August and we've got our sights set on tomatoes and school. They're both looking good.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Keri I just read this. I enloyed it very much. Very nice to see you guys are having a good summer. When does school start? Love you all, Leslie.

    ReplyDelete