Thursday, May 6, 2010

"These are the best bran muffins I've ever had!"

That's what your friends and relations will be saying when they try these super-easy bran muffins.


They're healthy. They're inexpensive. They're easy. They're tasty. They're easy. They're versatile. Did I mention they're easy?



But my favorite feature of these bran muffins is that you can keep the whole uncooked bowl of batter in the fridge for a few weeks, just baking a few at a time. That way, yes, even you can have freshly baked muffins every morning. Thanks to Emily P. for passing this recipe along to me about 6 years ago!

Here's the recipe:


Bran Muffins (warning: this recipe makes about 3 dozen muffins)

1 (17.5 oz) box of bran flakes
3 cups sugar (I sometimes reduce this to 2 or 2.5 cups)
5 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
5 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup oil
4 eggs, beaten
1 quart buttermilk

Mix the dry ingredients in a VERY large bowl.


Just when you think you can't possibly add anything else to this bowl, add the eggs, oil, and buttermilk.


Stir just until moistened. Refrigerate overnight or for several hours. This makes the cereal flakes get less flaky. The whole thing will be thick and, honestly, not very appealing. Just wait.


When you are ready to bake up these muffins, you may add chocolate chips, raisins, nuts, or even a mashed banana to the potion of the batter that you plan to bake. I like to simply sprinkle a few chocolate chips on top.


Bake in muffins tins at 400 degrees for 15 - 18 minutes.


The recipe claims the extra batter can be stored in the fridge for 6 - 8 weeks. In my house, the batter never goes more than 10 days without being eaten, so I've never tested this claim.


I guess I'm not very good at saying '"no" to bran and smiles.

1 comment:

  1. I have made this recipe many times, although not recently. We all love it! Thanks for the inspiration to whip up another batch.

    ReplyDelete