Monday, February 28, 2011

Beer Bread: Yeast Feast, Part 4

I know, I know, beer bread doesn't have yeast in it. It has beer.

But I thought I'd include it in the Yeast Feast because it falls under the category of Recipes-I've-Always-Wanted-To-Try-But-Was-Scared-To.

Now that I've whipped up a beer bread, I feel silly that I was ever afraid to try a recipe so Simple And Bound To Succeed.

For starters, there are only a few ingredients.

Then there is no rising, kneading, or anything remotely complicated. Check out how a 4 year old can make this.

Mix in a large bowl:

3 cups all-purpose flour*
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
¼ cup sugar

Then pour in 1 (12 oz) can of beer (or other carbonated beverage). Stir.

Optional: mix in 2 tablespoons dill, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, or 1/2 - 1 cup shredded cheddar.

Scoop the batter into a bread pan.

Pour ¼ cup melted butter on top.

Pop into the oven and bake for 50 - 55 minutes at 375 degrees. Cool before slicing.

This bread was so yummy, that Music Man has forbidden me to make it again for fear that he will devour it.


But what am I going to do with the rest of the Heineken?

2 comments:

  1. Do you think I could get away with using a Guinness? I think I might try this today - the recent snow is inspiring me to warm the house with delicious smells!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a Guinness would work great! If you follow the link above and check out the comments, you'll see that people get really creative with the carbonated beverages - cola, orange soda, etc. For me, I'm sticking with the beer!

    ReplyDelete