Sunday, February 5, 2012

Ideas for a trash-free Valentine's Day.

Normally I'm not a Hallmark holiday kind of girl.  But ever since my kids started school (who are we kidding? Ever since forever ago...) I feel like I have to actively find ways to celebrate special days like Valentine's Day without creating trash.

So instead of bags of candy, boxes of chocolate, and flowers wrapped in cellophane, we're doing things a little differently.

Naturally crafty, my daughters are eagerly making simple construction paper cards with delightfully sincere messages, such as, "I like you a lot."  We may get ambitious and make cut-out cookies with a fun heart-shaped cookie cutter.  Or, we may not.



We'll probably snuggle up by the fire and read charming picture books, such as Cranberry Valentine.

If you are trying to reduce your holiday trash, consider some of these ideas, either for your kids, or your honey.


  • Instead of a gift, give an experience.  Last night, the Music Man and I brought to the forefront our inner Spider-person at the local rock climbing wall.  We had so much fun, we're sore.
  • If you celebrate with a dinner out, consider bringing your own tupperware or glass containers to bring your leftovers home.  No need for all those styrofoam boxes!
  • If you celebrate with a dinner in, try to throw the kitchen scraps in a compost pile.  It works even through the winter!
  • Instead of a card, consider writing a love letter.  Even a few sentences can go a long way!  One mom I know surprises her children each Valentine morning with a love note under their pillows, like a Heart Fairy.
  • If it's an outing you're looking for, come on out to Lunasa's Open House Market on Tues, Feb 14th, 4 - 7pm.  I'll be there as The Eventual Farmer.  Be tempted by some local produce, meats, music, and handcrafts.
  • Instead of a piece of jewelry, consider a more practical gift, such as, oh, I don't know, a chicken coop.  I'm so serious.  My new-to-me coop has made me so happy this February!
  • Break up the winter confinement by going outdoors!  Take a walk on a sunny day.  Or at least shovel snow together.
  • Better yet, go to a hot tub place.
  • In lieu of boxed chocolates and all its packaging, try your hand at baking.  Here's a winner of a recipe for Chocolate Marble Bread with Ganache Frosting.


How will you be celebrating this Valentine's Day?  Any other fun, trash-free ideas?

1 comment:

  1. What fun ideas! I put that book on hold at the library -- can't wait to get it!

    ReplyDelete